The Ten Commandments
The 10 Commandments are the foundational principals and standard for life. Keeping them brings blessing, disobeying them brings a curse. Life without the 10 Commandments will result in chaos and anarchy.
The Ten Commandments
Joseph & Disciples Rested on the Sabbath after the burial ( Luke 23:56)
Jesus On end times “Pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath” Matthew 24:20
Paul Preached on the Sabbaths
“Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing but keeping the Commandments of God is what matters” 1 Corinthians 7:19
"Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His Commandments” 1 John 2:3
“And the dragon was enraged with the woman and he went to make war with the rest of her offspring, who keep the Commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ” Revelations 12:17
“Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the Commandments of God and the faith of Jesus Christ” Revelations 14:12
“Blessed are those who do His Commandments that they may have the right to the tree of life and may enter through the gates unto the city” Revelations 22:14
Law which is the OLD COVENANT OR OLD TESTAMENT
Grace which is the NEW COVENANT OR NEW TESTAMENT
The 10 Commandments can be likened to an x-ray machine. It shows & reveals the disease in a person, however the x-ray machine is not evil or diseased by doing so. So the 10 Commandments remain Holy even though it reveals sin.
You strive at keeping the Law but it keeps revealing and showing sin in you. Now there is no way of escaping the death that is constantly revealed.
When you come to Christ it does not reveal sin/disease in you. Why, the Blood of Jesus and your Faith in Jesus Christ releases you from the consequence of sin.
The first 4 Commandments deal with our relationship with God and the next 6 with our relationships with others.
2. You shall not make for yourselves a carved image.
- Our faith should be on the Invisible God and His Word.
- When we live without His Word than we need things to attach our faith on.
- John 14:23-24
3. You shall not take the Name of the Lord your God in vain.
- Honour, reverence and total respect of God is our duty as humans.
- Names have power and names have disrespect when mentioned.
- Philippians 2:5-11
4. Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it Holy.
- 1 Day in 7 committed to Rest & Worship.
- The first sign of spiritual maturity is to honour the Sabbath.
5. Honour your father and your mother.
- A command which has a promise of long-life.
- How do we deal with abusive parents (Forgive, pray for)
6. You shall not murder.
- The physical act and the mental act both have dire consequences.
- Physical act is a violation of human life, the mental is a violation against self.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
- The physical act and the mental act both have severe consequences.
- It can begin in the heart.
8. You shall not steal.
- A basic command.
- Stealing from God and from Man.
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour.
- A false witness will not go unpunished.
10. You shall not covet your neighbour’s house.
- Jealousy & Envy are insidious traits that are most often inherited.
Jesus Christ came to fulfil the 10 Commandments and to introduce New Commands found in His Sermon on the Mount ( Matthew 5) both go hand in hand. They provide a foundation for successful Christian living.